More on Buckyballs and Lifespan Extension

The recent report by Moussa et al has taken the Internet by sensation.  They showed rather convincingly that chronic daily oral consumption of C60 fullerene by Wistar rats almost doubled both mean and maximal lifespan compared to control.

The oldest lived rat in the C60 group actually lived to 66 months which appears to be a record.

C60 is commonly known as a buckyball and is a pure carbon molecule with 60 atoms arranged into a spherical shape.  This remarkable compound wasn’t discovered until 1985.  It is often ascribed almost magical properties.

One of those biological properties it possesses is the fact that it is an extremely potent antioxidant.  Since oxidative stress and damage underlies the aging process it isnt surprising to imagine that C60 could help reduce aging.

This study was done to prove C60 had no toxicity and to prove that it was absorbed into the bloodstream.  The molecule can pass through the cell membrane and therefore could be expected to have intracellular effects, critical to reduce aging.

This remarkable and tantalizing data clearly needs to be replicated, both in rats and other species.

I notified Dr. Cynthia Kenyon, one of the world’s leading longevity expert in the nematode C Elegans, about these findings.  ”Very interesting,” she replied.  I further suggested she immediately undertake this experiment in her lab, feeding C60 to C Elegans.  ”That’s a good idea,” she replied.  Lets hope she takes me up on it.

I was also able to contact Dr. Fathi Moussa, lead author of the Buckyball study.  I aksed if he planned to repeat the study. “Yes we plan to repeat the study in larger groups,” he replied.

One commentator, Reason of Fightaging.org questioned whether the C60 group was accidentally calorically restricted.  ”No, the animals were not calorically restricted,” replied Moussa. “Their growth was not
significantly different from that of the control animals.”

C60 is actually available for around $40 per gram, and can even be purchased mixed into an anti-aging skin cream.  In theory, a bold person could begin taking it as a supplement now.

Since he saw its effects firsthand, I aksed Dr Moussa if he started to take it.  ”No,” he said.  ”I do not consume C60 at this time.”

Recent Articles

50 Responses to “More on Buckyballs and Lifespan Extension”

1. Nehemiah Spencer says:

Very very interesting. Keep us posted.

2. A large fraction (about half, depending on how you count) of the effect can be contributed to just the olive oil, as seen in diagram at the top of page 6 in the report.

At human doses, the olive oil (if good quality) would cost more than the C60; not that either is very expensive.

• leon says:

No, it can’t. There was a control group fed only olive oil and the increase in their life span was minimal.

“The estimated median lifespan (EML) for the C60-treated rats was 42 months while the EMLs for control rats and olive oil-treated rats were 22 and 26 months, respectively,” they write.

3. jan weidenbach says:

Yes, a large fraction can be contributed to the olive oil. However, they stopped feeding C60 when the first rat died. If they would have continued feeding it, the rats may have lived even longer.

4. Wayne says:

Hi Monica, what do you mean “about half… can be attributted to just the olive oil”? Does olive oil on it’s own have a marked increase in rat lifespans?
    Also, does anyone know what is meant by “chronic” daily oral consumption?
    Sounds too good to be true but fingers crossed there’s something to it.

5. leon says:

Where can I buy C60? :)

6. Elixir says:

I guess its worth mentioning that c60 has to be absolutely dissolved in oliveoil (shaken for two weeks in a dark room etc) in order not to be toxic. That’s how I interpret the study anyway.

• Khordas says:

That doesn’t sound like an accurate interpretation. C60 isn’t water soluble, so if you don’t dissolve it in oil first, only the tiny amount that dissolves in whatever dietary fat is in your digestive tract will be absorbed, and since it dissolves very slowly that won’t be much. They wanted to see if it was toxic, so first they had to find a way to get it into the rats. If they’d fed it without dissolving it first, the rats would have crapped almost all of it out.

• Bob says:

Quite possibly. They stirred it for two weeks in the dark to get some of it in solution, then centrifuged it at 5000 g for an hour to settle C60 aggregates (clumps) and olive oil impurities, then filtered it through a 25 micro meter filter to make sure there were no aggregates. The result is a characteristic purple liquid. If it is brown, it has aggregates.

• Tom Schaefer says:

The pool I go to has a centrifuge to drip dry bathing suits. If I stuck a vile of olive oil and C60 in the pocket and ran it through this a few times, would that work?

7. Geoffrey says:

They do say if it is dissolved in olive oil it is over 100 times more effective than if it is suspended in olive oil. Given the cost of this carbon, it certainly matters.

If I understand correctly — the olive oil dissolved C60 was administered 1.7mg/kg of body weight to 10 month old rats orally daily for one week, then weekly for seven weeks, then every two weeks for five more months. And then, they got no more? So at that point the rats were 17 months old. And had received a total of about 41mg of C60 / kg of body weight. Then they watched them until the 38th month when still none had died (as opposed to the controls which all had died). So the effect of the C60 lasted much longer than the dosing time. Does that mean it stays in the body?

One concern: The expected lifespan is stated to be 30 – 36 months. Could it be that, opps, this group of 10 month old rats was only 1 month old at the start?

• ratkin412 says:

They specifically chose 10 month old male Wister rats. They also didn’t give the rats a total of 41mg… it says in the article that they gave the longevity rats one ml of the (.8mg/ml) doses a total of 24 times. The article is a bit confusing, because elsewhere it states that the rats were given 1.7mg/kg body weight. These rats got up to a pound in weight, so the 1 ml dose seems right, but it’s not very clear.

In all the rats were given .8X24 mg of the .8/ml c60 suspension, that is to say, a total of 19.2 mg of Fullerene C60 in 24ml of oil. That is a very small amount, even for a rat.

• Geoffrey says:

Right — sorry, forgot to include in the calculation that the rat doesn’t weight the entire 1 kg.

It does seem likely to me that they were given a group of 6 rats that were only 1 month old and those are the ones that got the special elixir. That seems much more probable than that the small amount of C60 in Olive oil increased life span so greatly.

Where do they get those 10 month old rats? They probably don’t raise the rats themselves. Probably got shipments from a lab rat supplier. And since they were mainly testing toxicology, the age mistake may have been easier to inadvertently overlook than if they were testing lifespan primarily.

• Bob says:

No, they had a whole bunch of rats and divided them randomly into groups. The rats were all 465 grams +/- 30 grams and they were divided into groups of 6 rats. A one-month-old rat would have been much lighter and if you had 6 rats that weighed 100 grams and twelve that weighed 465 you would not likely randomly select the six 100 gram rats to be on the same team. So the rats were ten months old.

What i find really exciting is that the rats lived an entire lifetime and a half AFTER they were treated. For a human, this would be like getting treatment from 30 to 40 years old, and then living another 120 years without any further treatment. What would have happened if they were treated again?

If you follow telomere research you might know that oxidative stress accounts for 90% of telomere strand degradation, and only 10% can be attributed to cell division. C60 appears to be the ultimate anti-oxidant. Maybe the reason why the rats lived longer is because the C60 prevented free radical damage to telomere strands and to the cells in general.

I just bought 100 grams of C60 from the place that supplied this study. I got the 99.9+% purified stuff, the study used the 99.95+% ultra pure vacuum oven dried stuff. Reply if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.

Although I am very excited, this stuff does appear to be deadly in it’s aqueous forms. There is a study showing birth defects and even 100% mortality at certain doses to fish embryos using the aqueous forms of C60. The affects that we want to see are happening when the C60 is in solution with an oil. Be careful. Be patient. We want to all be sitting around a campfire 200 years from now talking about the great spring of 2012 :)

• Lex says:

Bob, a friend and I are planning a similar course of action right now. Curious if you’d like to correspond and discuss plans/results? Is there a forum you’d recommend to join where we could talk and share relevant observations/findings?

• Bob says:

Lex, Yes! lets correspond! I registered some domain names to start a forum. They are not up and running yet, but give me a few more days. The main one where I want to start a community of C60 people is http://www.carbon60oliveoil.com

I figure we can share technology and results and build a community of interested people that will someday be a voice when it comes time to push this stuff through the FDA bureaucracy.

I’ll have my first Liter of C60 oil the first week of June, or whenever my new AWESOME centrifuge gets to my warehouse!

8. [...] [ARTICLE VIA KURZWEIL AI] [MUCH BETTER FOLLOW-UP VIA EXTREME LONGEVITY] [...]

9. J Lewand says:

If the C-60 is dissolved, isn’t it just carbon in olive oil?

10. AgingScientist says:

as exciting as these data may seem and as excited as the contributors of this thread are, a few notes:

1) an important part of any mouse study is the size of the population you are testing. while a doubling in lifespan is thrilling, a respectably sized mouse cohort is >30 mice. this study has 6 mice. arriving at any significant conclusions would be premature (thus the need to repeat and with greater numbers). thus, these data are not “rather convincing” as Dr. Dennis suggests.

2) with regards to the question if “C60 stayed in the body.” could be yes or no. the effects
    could be long lasting (ex. cancer after someone has not smoked for cigarettes).

3) with regards to Bob’s hypothesis about antioxidants: many studies have shown that antioxidants can actually negate the lifespan extensions that have been artificially induced in organisms. aging is a complex interplay of telomeres, mitochondria, autophagy, chromatin, insulin signaling, reproduction……the list goes on. bottom line, whatever the mechanism, if any, it will most likely be extremely complex.

4) with regards to Geoffrey’s question: “Could it be that, opps, this group of 10 month old rats was only 1 month old at the start” the answer is “not likely”. an entire industry of mouse husbandry and trained mouse technicians exist with standardized training to prevent such a discrepancy. a tremendous effort is normally taken by any respectable researcher to account for and synchronize the ages and age ranges of mice cohorts.

5) with regards to Wayne’s question about the definition of “chronic.” It simply refers to the fact that the treatments were given for an uninterrupted time period of the lives of the mice.

6) with regards to Monica’s statement about dosing. it all depends on the organism. the effective dose is not always 1:1 from mouse to humans. could be more or less required to elicit an effect…..depends on human physiology

7) with regards to Dr. Dennis’s suggestion that “a bold person could begin taking it as a supplement now”……..ignore this. better said as “a foolish person.” not until dosage studies and toxicity studies have been done should anyone ingest a compound untested in humans.

8) some more worthwhile and extensive literature exists for resveratrol (David Sinclair) which has been shown to be an extender of lifespan in a variety of model organisms as a mimic of calorie restriction

cheers,
    A.S.

• David E. Harrison says:

You know your stuff, except for one point . Resveratrol is helpful in at least one model of obesity and aging (BC57Bl/6J males fed high fat diets), but had absolutely no effect on lifespan in an excellent genetically heterogeneous mouse model that was not obese – On the other hand Rapamycin did increase mouse lifespans consistently, whether starting at 9 or 12 months. Check out: Nature 460:392-5 (2009); J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 66(2):191-201 (2011).

11. Bob says:

Well said aging scientist. Absolutely right on about nobody trying this yet. It will be very exciting to see it go through testing over the next decade or so.

12. Logic says:

It seems that C60 has antibacterial properties:

The article also mentions Fullerenol.
    A quick google for Fullerenol brings up some VERY interesting results!
    It seems to also be a powerful antioxidant.
    More importantly it slows tumourr growth and is anti-cytotoxic and radioprotective, which may make it veryusefull in cancer treatment.

I am very interested to hear views on the effects of bacteria, virii etc. on lifespan.
    Did the antibacterial properties of C60 have an influence on the lifespan of those lab-rats!??

13. AgingScientist says:

As a follow up, Dr. Dennis wrote a much better and more comprehensive review of this study for the Huffington Post yesterday. Check it out here:

14. Where can I buy this stuff for $40 like the article says?

I googled it and all I could find was 1 gram at 95% for over $120.

I’m also worried what the other 0.5% is? Could it be something toxic?

15. Chrispium says:

No one should try this out yet.

It might all be a practical joke on Dr Fathi Moussa, where mice have been swapped in to create the semblance of life extension.

Are you willing to gamble your life or health on it?

@TimothyMBurke: That’s a 5% impurity and not a 0.5% in the product you’re looking at. What that 5% is made up of I don’t know. But this stuff, when dissolved in water, is toxic.

16. Chrispium says:

https://sesres.com/FullerenesPrices.asp have all the buckyballs you could wish for, like:

600-9969-100G Carbon 60, 99.9+ %, purified, 100 g $3,800.00

That’s $38 per gram.

Don’t use this for human experimentation.

17. CatDoc says:

C. elegans effects? Super-quick experiment right there.

What about sonification (ultrasound) in warm olive oil to speed up the dissolution of the solids?

18. Nick Padron says:

I wonder if the fullerene caused reversal of aging and not just extension of life? An older person could perhaps take the buckyball diet and not just live longer but become younger too.

19. Bobby Martin says:

This is not a research result. This is a great clue for potential research someone should do.

There is a reason the scientific method calls for listing your success criteria *before starting the experiment*. Of all the random experiments people perform on rats which have no effect on lifespan, one group will include the group of rats with the longest lifespans. You then have to follow that up with a study with the hypothesis: “doing X to the rats will give them median lifespans Y% longer than normal” before you can scientifically say that X has any effect on lifespan.

That said, this is way cool! I’m on the edge of my seat for the results of the first scientific study of this phenomenon :-)

20. Wayne says:

Granted the C60 + olive oil combo requires more testing but wasn’t there an 18% increase for just olive oil on it’s own? 1.7 ml per kg = about 140ml of olive oil for an average 80kg person. Anyone planning to start adding olive oil to there daily food intake? I wouldn’t think it even need to be 140ml as the rats were not given it for their entire lives, maybe a more palatable 50ml or so would be a worthwhile insurance boost to adding a few years. Any thoughts?

21. Danaman says:

Me & my girl friend have been taking this stuff for several months now. 1 very important thing to keep in mind is to only take the C60 in olive oil when its in a solvent form. Because olive oil is hydrophobic & C60 is naturally hydrophilic so it can form NC60 (nano-bricks) from water when it enters your body alone & it can cause cancer, neuro-degeneration, & even death. So you must use a hydrophobic solvent like olive oil for it to be administered safely. Don’t eat the lift over C60 on the bottom of the bottle, it’s clumped up C60 & is not fully mixed in with the solvent(olive oil). Otherwise it will cause NC60 to form in your brain. We found out the hard way & got headaches.

When we started taking the C60 properly the headaches went away. My girl friend who has parkinsons has gotten better & she & I both lost weight from taking it. C60 seems to suppression our appetites. Appetite suppression was exhibited in both me, my girl friend & my sister.

We aren’t sure if there will be any future side effects but I guess we will know when we are 50 & we still look 25.

• George says:

What is the evidence that nC60 can cause cancer, neurodegeneration or death? I think that it will just be eliminated in the feces. C60 is hydrophobic, not hydrophilic.

• Wayne says:

Danaman, you and your girlfriend have been taking C60 in olive oil for “several months” (as at June 26)?!?!? The study was only published in April, so how could you have been confident enough to start using C60 before the results were published? And your girlfriend has since “gotten better” from parkinson’s?!?!? Or am I giving your post too much credit by replying at all?

• swordOFawesome says:

why didn’t you experiment on something other than yourselves? are you mad? your post must be nonsense. maybe you’re posting this nonsense to fool people into experimenting on themselves so you could see the results. That’s evil man!!

• Danaman says:

I am not posting here to get people to try it, I am only posting here because I just don’t want people to take C60 wrong then die from it.

22. danaman says:

Some more recent results all of my grey hair disappeared! :D

23. Ed says:

Danaman
    Are you on Facebook? message me at mr.d.anthony@gmail.com
    I am about to start experimenting. I have done worse things to my body.
    Are you injecting?

24. David says:

Dear friends:

I’m considering about start experimenting too in many weeks.

It would be interesting to create a mail list or something like that.

Please, get in touch with me if you are using this compound.

Thanks so much!

25. David says:

David
    August 3, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Dear friends:

I’m considering about start experimenting too in many weeks.

It would be interesting to create a mail list or something like that.

Please, get in touch with me if you are using this compound.

Thanks so much!

MY EMAIL: soldgm454@hotmail.com

26. David says:

Dear friends:

I’m considering begin experiments in myself in some weeks.

It would be interesting to create a mail list or something like that.

Please, get in touch with me if you are using this compound, have a blog about this, etc

Thanks so much!

David: soldgm454@hotmail.com

27. This is a recent video interview with Professor Fathi Moussa regarding C60 and Olive Oil:

A

28. Thomas Dean says:

Why not just use the patented water soluble Hydrated Fullerenes that are now available from Europe and used by so many and more importantly passed for human use. Remember it is the solvent toxicity that caused the toxicology reports do not use the the commercially avialble C60 unless it is C60.net only for epidermal use.

Regards

Thomas Dean

29. dan winter says:

why phase conjugate dielectrics ( fullerenes) are bioactive:
    pyraphi.com

30. Pretty nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I have truly loved browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your rss feed and I hope you write once more soon!