First Ever Brain Pacemaker For Alzheimer’s Disease Has been Implanted

Interfacing digital devices and the human brain is a field in its infancy but one that is likely to burgeon in the near future.

As we unravel and reverse engineer the human brain it will become more and more possible to connect digital circuitry which can enhance brain function.  It is possible in theory consciousness could be expanded or even ported into the digital domain.

Though brain stimulators have been in use for a number of years, the are relatively crude.  They do help however in certain patients with Parkinson disease in controlling abnormal movements.

To date, however such devices have not been developed or tried to enhance higher cortical conscious functions.

Neurosurgeons oat Johns Hopkins have just announced they have successfully implanted the first ever brain pacemaker in a patient with Alzheimer’s disease.  This devastating condition affects 20 million Americans and is highly age related beginning with subtle memory loss and rapidly progressing to a fatal state of severe cognitive impairment.

In the early stage of Alzheimer’s, patients have difficulty retaining new memories as part of their brains called the hippocampus begins to deteriorate.

The new pacemaker was implanted in an area of the brain called the fornix in an early Alzheimer patient.  The fornix is an inflow tract to the hippocampus.  The device produces a very rapidly alternating low voltage current cycling at 130 times per second.  It is believed this current can enhance the function of the hioppocampus and lead to better memory retention.  Such devices have proven effective in animal studies.

The implantation was done as a part of a multicenter clinical trial to see if the surgery benefits patients.  Eventually 40 patients will receive the devei in the coming year at Hopkins and other US institutions.

If this technology takes off, we may soon enter a fascinating new realm of human consciousness augmentation.

Source: Johns Hopkins

Recent Articles

11 Responses to “First Ever Brain Pacemaker For Alzheimer’s Disease Has been Implanted”

1. [...] this research combines nicely with a report last week of using an implant to [...]

• Max says:

This is a real positive thing. The article says that one implant has already been placed into someone’s head however the article is two years old so I wonder how this has progressed. Hope it has developed!

2. Sabrina Praylow says:

to date, there are still no cure for alzheimers disease and the cause of it is still theoretical.:

Take a look at the most interesting content at our personal web-site
    entdigest.com/why-am-i-not-allowed-to-take-melatonin-if-i-have-an-autoimmune-disorder/

3. [...] First Ever Brain Pacemaker For Alzheimer’s Disease Has been Implanted [...]

4. It’s in fact very complex in this active life to listen news on Television, therefore I simply use the web for that purpose, and take the latest information.

5. Marisol says:

Hi friends, good piece of writing and good urging commented at this place, I am actually enjoying by these.

6. Vernita says:

I don’t leave a comment, but I browsed a few remarks on
    First Ever Brain Pacemaker For Alzheimer

7. Eddy says:

This three-star cheap hotel has a lawn with a spa, outside seats along with gas heaters along with a Barbq, including a clubhouse and
    also lounge in the house. His books have been translated widely and one of his novels for children was highly commended for the Carnegie Medal.
    Since it is situated in Bicentric Writer, hotel guests can easily
    make themselves wandering at City and Reagent streets, for both statesman shopping.

8. My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less.
    I’ve been using Movable-type on numerous websites for about
    a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
    I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net.
    Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

9. gamezebo.com says:

Hi there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where
    I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

10. mobile games says:

If you wish for to take much from this post then you
    have to apply these strategies to your won webpage.